× HomeFAQs Reviews Contact

Everything to Know About Amalgam Fillings

Everything to Know About Amalgam Fillings

Posted by One Health Dental on May 12 2022, 05:22 AM

Everything to Know About Amalgam Fillings

There are a variety of reasons why a patient may need a filling. Cavities are one of the most common reasons why patients ask for amalgam fillings. When cavities form, your Dallas dentist will remove any decay and then fill the hole with a filling. Of course, there are other reasons for fillings, such as chipped teeth, broken teeth, or worn teeth.

What is an Amalgam Filling?

An amalgam filling, or silver filling, is a type of dental filling that has been used for decades. They are made from a combination of metals, including silver, tin, mercury, and copper. The metals are mixed with mercury, which is the least toxic metal.

Amalgam fillings are very hard and durable. They can withstand the pressure of chewing, and they can last a very long time. However, they are known to discolor over time. They are less expensive than white fillings. However, they are prone to cracking, which can increase the risk of tooth decay.

How is an Amalgam Filling done?

First, your dentist in Dallas will numb the area where the filling will be. You will typically receive a local anesthetic, which will numb the area around the tooth. If you are nervous, dental sedation can also be used, which helps patients relax.

Next, your dentist will prepare the tooth. This includes removing any decay. Then, your dentist will shape the space for the filling. If the decay is deep, your dentist may place medicine in the tooth to help strengthen the tooth and absorb the bacteria.

Your dentist will use cement with an amalgam powder to create the filling. Then, your dentist will shape the filling so it is the ideal shape and size for the tooth.

Finally, your dentist will polish the filling. This will make it smooth.

Are Amalgam Fillings Safe?

Yes. Your Dentist in Dallas, TX, considers amalgam fillings a safe, affordable, and durable way to fill cavities. Silver amalgam fillings are a mixture of mercury, silver, tin, copper, and zinc. The mercury makes up about 40% of the mix, and the tin, copper, and zinc make up the remaining 60%. This blend creates a strong, hard material perfect for filling cavities.

The American Dental Association is confident that amalgam fillings are safe to use, and the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has concluded that amalgam fillings are safe and reliable.

Advantages of an Amalgam Filling

Amalgam is a highly durable metal alloy. This material can be bonded directly to the tooth, giving a strong, long-lasting restoration.

Amalgam fillings make a good choice for large cavities, as they can withstand the pressure caused by chewing. They are also among the least expensive option for filling a cavity, making them a cost-effective choice.

Alternatives to an Amalgam Filling

Although amalgam fillings have been in place for decades, newer, tooth-colored fillings that are more attractive are also available.

Amalgam fillings are particularly popular as they are affordable, durable, and resistant to wear. They are also non-toxic, so they do not pose a risk to patients’ health.

Wish to schedule your appointment with the Dentist in Dallas for any dental procedures? Visit our Dallas dentist at One Health Dental, located at 4801 S Buckner Blvd Suite 800, Dallas, TX 75227, or book your consultation today by calling us at (214) 275-4808.

Leave A Reply

Please fill all the fields.

Location

4801 S Buckner Blvd suite 800, Dallas, TX 75227

Office Hours

MON 9:00 am - 6:00 pm

TUE 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

WED 9:00 am - 6:00 pm

THU 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

FRI 8:00 am - 3:00 pm

SAT 10:00 am - 3:00 pm

SUN Closed

Get in Touch

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (214) 275-4808